When we moved into our place a year ago, we realized we had a lot of small projects ahead of us, sanding, paintings, patching etc… and this was after the major renovation had been completed. We’ve finished almost all of them except one major thing that keeps staring us right in the face. The wood railings upstairs. You can see it from almost every angle in the apartment, it’s the same ugly red stain that the stairs were, but it can’t be removed to sand in a tent like we did for the stairs. Since our space is all open, the dust will basically go everywhere.
For the last year we’ve been avoiding them, contemplating how we’re going to approach them or convincing ourselves we don’t really need to do it. But today, we took the plunge and tried one section.
Let me tell you, it’s hard work and makes a ginormous mess! Andrew was scraping while I tried my best to vacuum up all the bits. Scraping was only step 1, step 2 requires even more mess with sanding, but sadly at this point we gave up due to it being way too hot up in the loft.
I guess this post is “to be continued” maybe you’ll see the results in a year…haha..but we’re hoping to at least try and tackle it again on a cooler day.