Upstairs Bathroom: Before and After

As promised here’s some updated photos of our upstairs bathroom. But first, check out these before photos. The upstairs bathroom was interesting…. The previous owners had installed a “steam shower” which wasn’t installed properly so technically someone could have been electrocuted while having a shower. Not cool! Personally I’d probably die from having to look at the ugly tiles while showering.

The tiny shower area was divided by a wall which had the toilet and vanity on the other side. This space is tiny! I’m not sure why they thought it would be smart to make them into 2 separate rooms, but that shower felt insanely claustrophobic considering you couldn’t really turn around inside of it, it was a walk in forwards and back out slowly situation.

Naturally, we wanted to open up the space and take advantage of the skylight that was just to the right of the bathroom. The only problem was the pipes from the sprinkler system didn’t allow us the very open space we wanted because it went through one of the walls and we didn’t want to contact our building to shut off the water and move pipes (that’s expensive and time consuming). So we removed the main dividing wall and kept a half wall for a bit more privacy. We cut out a “window” in the wall to allow the natural light from the skylight to shine in and it’s the perfect spot for plants. We did have cactus on the shelf for a year, but they died from too much shower steam, so we’ll need to find some small plants that can handle humidity.

upstairs bathroom renovation before

Upstairs Bathroom - After
I had mentioned in a previous post that we had the apartment water shut off inside our shower!! It couldn’t be moved because we didn’t have time on our side to deal with it since we needed to move in ASAP and it’s a crazy process to contact our building to contact the city to shut off the sprinkler system, so our plumber created another shut off location near our hot water tank and this one is now pretty much useless, but it’s still there and still very ugly. We tiled around it and got a custom acrylic shelf made that disguises the eye-sore. The shelf is open underneath so it’s still accessible. Maybe someday down the road we’ll remove it, but for now it’s not harming anyone.

The reason the water shut off was in the shower was pretty obvious, the previous owners converted what was a closet, into a shower and second bathroom, yikes! Check out some photos of the shelf situation:

Acrylic Shower Shelf

Upstairs Bathroom Renovation Complete

The upstairs bathroom is finally finished! Although these photos are not really up to date, they don’t include what we ended up doing with the corner shelf in the shower to cover the pipe. I’ll probably do a single post about this to explain in detail what we did to avoid cutting into the main water line and moving it. I previously posted about the progress of this room, but a lot has changed since then.

The bathroom took a while to finish because we were waiting for our counter top to arrive. We got a reclaimed piece of fir that was hand finished, it really looks more beautiful in person, it’s very smooth and the cracks and knots have been filled with epoxy, so you can see right into the wood. I was initially scared about getting water on it, but so far so good, it just beads right off, but I still wipe it regularly.

Someday we’ll probably change the light fixture, which was so cheap at IKEA. We just needed something urgently, so we went with it. It’s not the most attractive thing, with the black base that sticks out on the wall, but it does the trick for now.

411-reno-bathroomdone